Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jr2277

My box 12 is empty and it keep saying that i have to put something in that place but its emptyon my w2

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
RyanH2

My box 12 is empty and it keep saying that i have to put something in that place but its emptyon my w2

Box 12 should be entered into TurboTax exactly as it is on your W-2. If there is nothing in box 12 on your W-2, leave it blank in TurboTax. When you play with the box a bit, it thinks you have a value you need to enter. It should read "-Select Letter Code-" for the letter code box and the amount box next to it should be blank.

If setting box 12 back to "-Select Letter Code-" does not work, then delete the W-2 and re-enter it being sure to leave box 12 the way it is the second time.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300234

RyanH2

Box 12 should be entered into TurboTax exactly as it is on your W-2. If there is nothing in box 12 on your W-2, leave it blank in TurboTax. When you play with the box a bit, it thinks you have a value you need to enter. It should read "-Select Letter Code-" for the letter code box and the amount box next to it should be blank.

If setting box 12 back to "-Select Letter Code-" does not work, then delete the W-2 and re-enter it being sure to leave box 12 the way it is the second time.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300234

BillC99

I have an amount listed in my W2 statement under Box 12 coded “adoption assistance”. I do not have an adopted child nor did I ask for any type of assistance. The tax software wont let me submit until I “fix the error” where it’s asking for a child’s name. I don’t have an adopted child. Is it a mistake on W2, can I over ride it on the tax software? What do I do? Can’t file.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It sounds like your W-2 has Box T coded in box 12 for Employer-provided adoption benefits.  Your employer may have used the wrong code and it will need to be corrected to ensure the income is reported accurately.  

You will need to reach out to your employer to correct your W-2 information.  Typically, these amounts are not taxable but you also want to ensure the amount you report on your tax return matches the W-2 as filed with the IRS.  Any discrepancies could delay processing your return.

I would recommend extending your return at this point and requesting a corrected W-2 Form for your employer to ensure your tax return is not pulled aside as the amounts reported would not match what was reported on your W-2 form.

If you go this route, you can file an extension within the program itself.

1. Log back into your TurboTax account  and go to the federal section
  2. Select Other Tax Situations at the top of the screen
  3. Scroll down to Other Tax Forms
  4. Select File an Extension
  5. Proceed to answer the questions and follow the prompts to file your extension and make your tax payments

Extension requests in downloaded software

Extension requests using the online software

Your other option is to file the return and leave off Code T and the amount from your input in TurboTax.  But be aware, this could delay processing your return if the IRS flags the discrepancies.

@BillC99

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies