turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bona Fide Resident Test: I reestablished residence in US on 2/7/17 and then I got a job in US. How do I respond to section asking if i had business travel to US in 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

Bona Fide Resident Test: I reestablished residence in US on 2/7/17 and then I got a job in US. How do I respond to section asking if i had business travel to US in 2017?

If you are trying to claim a foreign earned income exclusion as a bona fide resident of another country, then you would enter your US travel dates and any income earned during your US travel dates.

If you actually moved back to the US and re-established your US residency, then you will not be able to claim the foreign gain exclusion under the Bona Fide Residence Test

The only way to exclude any of your foreign earned income prior to your re-establishment date of Feb 7, 2017 would be to claim the Physical Presence Test In this instance, you would look at the prior 12 month period and if you were outside the US for 330 days during a 12 month period, you can claim a portion of the foreign earned income exclusion.

For example, if you arrived in the US on 2/7/2017 and were in a foreign country for all of 2016, then you can claim a period from 2/7/2016 to 2/6/2017 for the  Physical Presence Test  under the foreign earned income exclusion.

To enter foreign earned income information in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "foreign earned income" in the search bar then select "jump to foreign earned income". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information.

If you do not meet either test, then you can still claim a Foreign Tax Credit related to any foreign income taxes paid on any foreign income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies