Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rsijon1

Best way to have my wife to file her taxes for last two years she didnt file?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

It depends on how you filed your tax return for the past two years.  If you are legally married and living together then you can only file as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.  How did you file your tax return?

Were you married then?  Or was she still single?  You may need to amend your return to add her and her income.  

We need more information.

If you were not yet married, she would file as single (or maybe head of household if she qualifies).  She can buy turbotax for the previous years at this link.  (Each year is different, 2023, 2022, etc.)

Products for previous tax years

If you were married as of 12/31 of the year, then your choices are to file a married filing jointly or married filing separately.  

With MFJ, you list all your combined income, deductions, dependents and credits on one tax return.  If you already filed, you would amend your return to add her info.  With MFS, each spouse files a separate return listing only their own income, deductions, and so on.  MFJ is almost always better because MFS has higher tax rates and some deductions are limited or disallowed, but sometimes there are reasons to do this, we would need to know more.

Also note, if you originally filed MFJ but omitted your spouse's information, your only choice is to amend the return and add her information.  If you originally filed MFS, you have the option of amending to a joint return, or leaving your separate return alone and filing a separate return for her. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies