Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BE AWARE if filing an amendment!!!

I filed an amendment on my taxes and the IRS took out the tax payment on original tax filed AND also the amended taxes! Both done on same day, so bot sure how they did not catch that. OMG! Now I am out over 6K! I cannot reach anyone at IRS. Called Turbo tax and they just said call IRS. I paid extra for help from Turbotax when filing, so don't even bother paying that extra because they DO NOT HELP you at all. I guess filing the amendment trying to be honest was really a huge mistake! I am furious right now. All you get these days is automated BS and get no live help at all. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

As we have posted thousands of times on these forums - Never, Never, Never file an amended tax return until you have received the tax refund from the original tax return or the payment for the taxes owed on the original tax return has been processed and debited from your account.

No one from TurboTax or from this forum can assist you in retrieving your funds paid to the IRS.  Your tax returns were self-prepared using tax preparation software, not by a paid tax tax professional such as a CPA, EA or tax attorney.

Use this procedure to contact the IRS and speak to an agent -

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 3 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

that info is useless. 

@hopiegirl wrote:

that info is useless. 

Why?

Did you actually try the procedure to talk to an agent?  Have made an appointment with the local IRS office?

Yes. I did try using all those "numbers". Each one was automated BS. I tried them all. Finally I just used one that said "to make a payment". Of course that one I could leave a number to call back. Even though it was not who I needed she did tell me that now the amended return will take 16 week to process. Hence me putting do not amend a return using this software. Now I will not be able to pay my bills for 4 dang months because IRS took double the tax money out and I have to wait 4 months for it to process. 

You would have the same problem if you used other apps or even a pro to amend if it was filed before the original was fully processed. The only difference is a pro would/should know not to file too soon. 

I have never been on the forums so I missed those thousands of times it was said never to do it. Should not be like that. I was just doing the right thing by adding info that was not added because I received it late. 

I won’t do it ever again. Just getting through to a human took HOURS and days. Unreal. Now I WAIT. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies