turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

swest0525

Hi I wanted to know how I would file my sister. She is 30 years old & has lived with me for the past year. She doesn't work or have any type of stable income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Hi I wanted to know how I would file my sister. She is 30 years old & has lived with me for the past year. She doesn't work or have any type of stable income?

Based on the information you've provided, it appears that you can claim your sister as a dependent on your return.  See the requirements for Qualifying relative, below.

Generally, you can claim someone as a dependent if she meets the following requirements as either a qualifying child or a qualifying relative.

Qualifying child

• ·         They are your child, stepchild, foster child or sibling, or a descendant of any of these.
  • ·         They aren't being claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • ·         They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • ·         They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • ·         They are younger than you, and under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).  If the person is permanently and totally disabled, there is no age limit.
  • ·         They live with you for more than half of the year (exceptions apply).
  • ·         They didn’t provide more than half of their own support.

Qualifying relative

• ·         They don't have to be related to you.
  • ·         They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • ·         They either lived with you the entire year, or they were related to you.
  • ·         They made less than $4,050 in 2017.
  • ·         You provided more than half of their financial support.

Your sister probably doesn't meet the standards of Qualifying child because of her age, but she appears to meet Qualifying relative requirements, based on the limited information..

For additional details, see Table 5, Overview of the Rules for Claiming an Exemption for a Dependent, in IRS Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Based on the information you've provided, it appears that you can claim your sister as a dependent on your return.  See the requirements for Qualifying relative, below.

Generally, you can claim someone as a dependent if she meets the following requirements as either a qualifying child or a qualifying relative.

Qualifying child

• ·         They are your child, stepchild, foster child or sibling, or a descendant of any of these.
  • ·         They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • ·         They are younger than you, and under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).  If the person is permanently and totally disabled, there is no age limit.
  • ·         They live with you for more than half of the year (exceptions apply).
  • ·         They didn’t provide more than half of their own support.

Qualifying relative

• ·         They don't have to be related to you.
  • ·         They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • ·         They either lived with you the entire year, or they were related to you.
  • ·         They made less than $4,050 in 2017.
  • ·         You provided more than half of their financial support.

Your sister probably doesn't meet the standards of Qualifying child because of her age, but she appears to meet Qualifying relative requirements, based on the limited information..

For additional details, see Table 5, Overview of the Rules for Claiming an Exemption for a Dependent, in IRS Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies