turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ribhur

Can a friend who lives abroad transfer $15k to me to pay his student loan ? he dosent have a US account . Does it have any tax implications for me?

My Friend and I are both Non US citizens . My friend lives abroad but went to school in US . The money is entirely to pay his student loan
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

Can a friend who lives abroad transfer $15k to me to pay his student loan ? he dosent have a US account . Does it have any tax implications for me?

As long as the $15,000 in funds are sent / wired electronically (and not in cash, where there is a special reporting requirement for all transactions in excess of $10,000), then you shouldn't have any particular problems, as far as this concerns United States compliance and tax reporting requirements.

There is such a thing as a US gift tax reporting requirement (i.e., filing a Form 709 gift tax return, but not necessarily paying any actual gift taxes), where the amount of the gift is greater than $14,000.  However, this proposed $15,000 would not be considered a gift, since you're not keeping it, and are simply acting as a "middleman" or flow-through conduit.  Neither is it considered taxable income (or a deductible expense) to you.

So, from a compliance perspective, I can see no adverse tax implications to you, if you don't keep any part of the money, and simply use your US bank account as a pass-through mechanism and favor for a foreign national friend, to pay off a US debt.  Of course, your friend could probably also wire / pay the debt himself or herself, directly, through a foreign bank account in another country as well, even if a currency translation or an international transaction fee would result.

Either alternative should not incur any negative consequences for you, however.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies