Solved: As an addendum, if you two were legally married pr...

My partner died on December 16, 2016 - I filed a joint return for him and me (his spouse) in 2017 for 2016. Do I need to file a tax form for him now?

No, when you filed the joint return for 2016 you would have marked off "deceased" and entered the date of death. You don't have to file a 2017 return for him now.  I am sorry for your loss.

As an addendum, if you two were legally married prior to his passing, then you may qualify for a filing status of "widowed" if you have qualified dependent children. So pay attention to that as you work this through the Personal Info section of the program. (The program will guide you to see if you qualify for that filing status.)