turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does my tax owed increase when I input the tax-exempt interest from the 1099-int

when I add the $1250 tax-exempt interest from the 1099 INT to box 8 my Fed tax owed increases to 973 from 823 and my state tax also increases

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why does my tax owed increase when I input the tax-exempt interest from the 1099-int

any or all of these

1) Your state taxes the Tax-Exempt interest...unless it was issued from bonds issued by you own state.  IF you did buy your own state's bonds, there is a follow-up question about what state issued the bonds that produced the $$ in box 8.  You select "More than one state" if none of them were your state, or check a box and break out just your own state's amount if it's mixed.

2)  IF you are getting SS, the amount of SS that is taxed uses a calculation that INCLUDES tax-exempt income.

3)  For the Health care mandate...family income includes tax-exempt $ to determine the Premium credit allowed.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

any or all of these

1) Your state taxes the Tax-Exempt interest...unless it was issued from bonds issued by you own state.  IF you did buy your own state's bonds, there is a follow-up question about what state issued the bonds that produced the $$ in box 8.  You select "More than one state" if none of them were your state, or check a box and break out just your own state's amount if it's mixed.

2)  IF you are getting SS, the amount of SS that is taxed uses a calculation that INCLUDES tax-exempt income.

3)  For the Health care mandate...family income includes tax-exempt $ to determine the Premium credit allowed.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
bbickley
Returning Member

The answer provided the state increase in tax if interest was not issued by a bond in the state of the taxpayer but did not address why the federal taxes increased for tax exempt interest entered in box #8. Should federal taxes increase for tax exempt interest entered in box 8?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies