James2020

AMERICAN opportunity credit- foreign bachelors

I’m looking for actual statues, regulations, or tax code references.

I have a foreign degree equivalent to a US. Bachelor’s degree.  I don’t not qualify for Pell grants but I do for loans. 

As for the American opportunity credit, it disqualifies someone from it if they have a bachelors degree or equivalent to one. Does this apply if I have a foreign degree or does it only apply if it is a degree from an elegible college. My foreign college is not an elegible college because it has absolutely no relation to the US department of education. 

Thanks

ee-ea

pk

@James2020 , agreeing with @ee-ea  but wondering -- (a) what courses are you taking and trying to use American Opportunity Credit for ;  (b) Are you a citizen/Resident of the USA;  (c) Do you have SSN.

I ask this because AOC is generally focused towards US citizens/Residents undergoing the  first four years of post secondary education.  Please answer 

James2020

@pk 

A)   Working on courses for an associate degree (RN) through a Tech. (full-time)
B) Yes.

C) Yes.

pk

@James2020  thank you for your response.  Suggest you peruse through the below  code --- it does appear to  say suggest that  for loans etc. having a batchelors does not make you in-eligible.  

--> https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/20/chapter-28/subchapter-IV