Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JUSTBGUY2023
Returning Member

Amending Federal and NYS - open questions

Hello all,

**** Sorry - I erroneously misposted this question n the different thread originally  ****

I had to amend my 2023 filings (using desktop version of Home & Business) - Federal and New York. On one set of instruction it said that I had to mail in my Federal 1040x, on the other set of instruction if said that it was already submitted electronically, and it shows Accepted on TT...What to do?

Question number 2 (re: NY's Amendment) - it has been showing Pending for almost a week.....Not sure if I can do anything about it but I am getting worried.....

Thank you very much for any help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Mail the returns.  Amended returns cannot be e-filed.

Print your returns and mail to the address provided.  Be sure to attach any W-2s always,  as well as any other document when withholding (state or federal) is included.

@JUSTBGUY2023 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JUSTBGUY2023
Returning Member

Thank you, Diane!

The instructions are so ambiguous!

I am so confused, especially with NYS returns...The instructions say NOT to send anything in the mail....

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It's not clear where you might be seeing this in your tax return.  If you like you can include a screen shot for review, but it doesn't change the instructions provided.  Both returns must be mailed.

@JUSTBGUY2023 

JUSTBGUY2023
Returning Member

Tax 1.JPGTax 2.JPGTax 2.1.JPG

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

As long as your amended return (which appears to be a 2023 amended return) was e-filed and your original return was e-filed and prepared on the same tax preparation software as your amended return, you can e-file it and you do not need to file a paper return.  It looks like you successfully e-filed your amended 2023 tax return!

To check on the status of your New York State amended tax return, call 518-457-5149. Click here for additional information.

Your 2023 federal Form 1040-X amended return is eligible for electronic filing if the original return was successfully e-filed using TurboTax. There is a chance that your return cannot be electronically filed. If this happens, you would need to print and mail your tax return.  You would have been notified by TurboTax if your return was required to be mailed.

If you were amending for tax years 2022 and prior, you would need to print and mail your amended return. Follow these instructions to amend a prior-year return.

Per the IRS Webisite regarding amended returns:

You can file Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return electronically with tax filing software to amend your Form 1040, 1040-SR, 1040-NR, or 1040-SS/PR for the current or two prior tax periods. If amending a prior year return originally filed on paper, then the amended return must also be filed on paper. Please click here for additional information.  This FAQ also provides some additional information, click here.

Click here for additional information on Amending Tax Returns.

Click here for information on amending state income tax returns.  New York is one of the states that allows the e-filing of amended tax returns.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies