Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IFrankel
Returning Member

Amended Returns 2020

I had to amend my 2020 taxes and I did e-file the Federal.  The first time I did my taxes and filed them both the Federal and state owed me money which I have now received refunds from both.  After I amended my returns I ended up owing money to both Federal and State - should I send the money I already received along with the money I owe to the State when I send it in?  How do I pay back the Federal government now?  I already e-filed the Federal and have set up a direct payment from my bank on May 16th - but only for the amount I owe, not for the amount they paid me already.  

Thank you.

Irene Frankel 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Amended Returns 2020

When line 20 of your federal Form 1040-X -- Amount you owe -- contains an amount, that is what you owe as a result of amending your return, whether you owed or received a refund on your original return. 

You'll still get the refund from your original return, and you’ll need to pay the line 20 amount.  The direct payment you’ve set up with your bank is all you need.

Please see Line 20—Amount You Owe on page 18 of the IRS' Instructions for Form 1040X for the payment options available.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies