turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sunraesmom
Returning Member

Amended return

I amended my 2020 return due to unemployment. Through Turbo tax it showed I should get back 2300. The IRS refunded me 1200 and sent a letter that if I disagree to call them or they would assume I have accepted their amendment.  I’ve tried multiple times and cannot get a live person on the phone. Will they eventually look at my turbo tax amended return and pay me what I’m due??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

Amended return

Hello sunraesmom,

I understand it can be frustrating waiting for a refund.  The IRS did not require an amended return be filed for the unemployment compensation exclusion.  The IRS is automatically adjusting those returns, and issuing the refunds.

The lower refund may be related to a different issue on your tax return, possibly a Recovery Rebate Credit on Form 1040 line 30.

I recommend you request a tax transcript from the IRS.  There are different types of transcripts, and you would want the Record of Account Transcript as it will reflect changes the IRS made to your originally filed return.  You can then see why the refund amount is less than expected.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

I hope you find this information useful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Sunraesmom
Returning Member

Amended return

I do have a copy of the transcript. It shows my amended return received but it has not been reviewed. The money missing from their calculations is the EIC adjustment. Will they eventually look at the amended return now that they have made an internal adjustment and refund?? 

conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

Amended return

Yes, it sounds like they have received your amended return, but have not processed the amended return.

Since you did receive a letter, check your letter if there is an address you can respond to.  Also this link will help you interpret the notice you received.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/irs/help/i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs/00/27100

I hope you find this information useful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies