Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return resulted in balance, but got two IRS notices

Hello!

I amended my 2021 joint return, but I got a notice from the IRS saying that I still owed around $30 (including interest).

1.  I received two notices that look exactly the same and with the same amount due, but one is addressed to myself and another is to my wife. However, the last 4 numbers of the SSN on both notices are mine. Does that mean I have to pay both notices, or is it just a duplicate notice because I filed jointly and I only need to pay one?

2. The notice says that I can just mail a check with some information written on it. I don't need to fill out a whole new form as well, is that right?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It seems to me that you just got two notices and one was sent to your wife and one to you.

If you want to double check, I would go to your account online through the IRS and see what is showing due.

Here is the link to go to our account.

IRS account to view transcript, set up payment plan and make estimates  Once you create your account, go to Tax Records, Get Transcripts, put in a reason, GO.  Then you will see all of your transcripts.  You can also set up a payment plan, and make estimated payments with your IRS account.

I sure hope this has been helpful.

If you reply back, I will try to keep an eye open to assist further.

Please give me a thumbs up if this was helpful.

Katie S.

Katherine S 63

View solution in original post

5 Replies

It seems to me that you just got two notices and one was sent to your wife and one to you.

If you want to double check, I would go to your account online through the IRS and see what is showing due.

Here is the link to go to our account.

IRS account to view transcript, set up payment plan and make estimates  Once you create your account, go to Tax Records, Get Transcripts, put in a reason, GO.  Then you will see all of your transcripts.  You can also set up a payment plan, and make estimated payments with your IRS account.

I sure hope this has been helpful.

If you reply back, I will try to keep an eye open to assist further.

Please give me a thumbs up if this was helpful.

Katie S.

Katherine S 63

If you filed a joint return, you are both liable for the amount IRS bills you.

It is better for the person listed on the notice (your SSN) to make the payment under their SSN.

@bduran 

Thank you, @Katherine S 63 !

Yes, I can confirm that I see only the amount for one of the notices on my IRS account and I was able to pay via the IRS website.

Thank you so much!

Thanks for confirming @fanfare! I made the payment online using the account for the SSN listed on the notice.

Fantastic!!!

Katherine S 63
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies