Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amazon Flex - Actively Participated In This Work Question

How do I answer this question? I drove under 100 hours as an Amazon Flex Driver.

ddd.png

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You would select 'None of these apply.'  You are not subject to the Department of Transportation hours of service limits. As you indicated you are not any of the remaining categories. 

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) shows hours limits for different types of individuals who drive. This will help you stay within the regulated limits. 

What is Amazon Flex? It's simple: You use your own vehicle to deliver packages for Amazon as a way of earning extra money to move you closer to your goals. Reserve a block. Make deliveries.

@subaonyx007

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DianeW777  Thank you. For Amazon Flex what would be the "Business Code" and "Method of Accounting? I don't see any information related to this on my 1099-NEC

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The business code that could be used for this personal service if 812990, if you don't see another category.  It's not a taxi service so that would not apply.

Your method of accounting is established the first time you file a tax return, therefore unless you made a request for a change your method of accounting is Cash.

@DianeW777 

I read on another post that the business code is 492000 Couriers & messengers - Is that correct or 812990?

@DianeW777 Moreover, what would the business code for Doordash and Instacart Drivers? I did not get a 1099-NEC for Doordash or Instacart.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Either code will work, both would express your business activity.  The IRS wants a general idea of what kind of work you do in your business. 

@DianeW777 

Okay, thank you.

I worked as a construction worker for 3 days and was paid under $300. I never received a W-9 form because I made less $600.

Which section would this be on Turbo Taxes and how would I report my income? Also, what would the business code be for this?

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

To follow-up on the comments from @DianeW777, regarding which section of TurboTax to enter your $300 depends on how you characterize the income you earned.  In other words, you need to determine if the income was just "other income" or if it was income from self-employment.  

Other income is income derived from activities unrelated to the main focus of a business, which in your case appears to be construction. Thus, if you were not operating a business or do not hold yourself out as operating a business where you intend to earn a profit, then more than likely, the income you earned was other income.  

To enter other income in TurboTax online, click on Wages & Income, scroll down the page to Less common income, click on the drop-down arrow and select Miscellaneous Income.  From the list select Other reportable income and respond to the questions on the pages that follow.   There is no business code to enter in this section.  

The issue of whether you are, or are not, a self-employed person (sometimes referred to as an independent contractor) requires some consideration and is something that TurboTax cannot provide you with a specific answer given that this designation is unique to the taxpayer and the taxpayer's specific circumstances.  The IRS defines a self-employed person as:

"If you weren't an employee of the payer, where you report the income depends on whether your activity is a trade or business. You're in a self-employed trade or business if your primary purpose is to make a profit and your activity is regular and continuous." 

Thus, if your primary purpose in getting paid for the services you performed was to make a profit and the activity you performed was something you did on a regular and continuous basis, then you are likely a self-employed person.  As such, you will enter your income and expenses in TurboTax, and complete a Schedule C, Profit or Loss From Business. 

The IRS has the following business codes for construction: Construction 230000, and Construction of Buildings 236000

Here is the link to the IRS webpage that discusses 1099-Misc, Independent Contractors and the Self Employed from which the above quote was obtained.  You might find this information helpful.  Also included below is a link to the IRS' business activity codes.

1099 Misc, Independent Contractors and Self Employed

IRS Business Activity Codes

@subaonyx007

@GeorgeM777 

For Instacart and Doordash (Self-Employed Delivery Driver jobs) I made less than $600 so I did not get a 1099-NEC.

How would I respond to this question from the screenshot below?

What would I put for "type of income"?

Would I combine the total amount I received from Instacart and Doordash or "Add another row"?

TB.png

JulieS
Expert Alumni

For type of income use Checks, or Direct deposit. Since this is a small amount of income for the same type of activity, you can combine the amounts. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies