Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mocofeo

Already have a payment plan installment for last year taxes, owe taxes this year, again.

Since, I already have a payment plan installment in place, what do I select as far as "payment choice" for this year's taxes.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
mocofeo

Already have a payment plan installment for last year taxes, owe taxes this year, again.

Actually, it does ask to select a payment choice, it won't let me processed if I do not select one of the choices. Please check your website process in regards to this. It gives me 4 choices: direct debit from my bank account, credit card, pay by check or set up a payment plan. Again, I already have a payment plan installment because I owed taxes last year, and again this year. Your system won't let me processed if I do not select one of those choices, which do not apply to my case. I would really appreciate help in this matter.
evelista

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I am facing the same dilemma.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Answer this question with "Pay By Check", and finish filing. Turbotax will instruct you to download a form 1040-V payment voucher afterwards - this is what you would use to mail a check. Then you can call the IRS customer service line, and ask to have your debt rolled into your existing plan. If they agree, then you can ignore the 1040-V and don't need to send a check.
You will, of course, have to pay for TurboTax up front using a credit card.
kjrmom911

That's exactly what I did, cuz I owed again, Sigh. It doesn't pay to be single

The answer given by TurboTaxMelaine was in regards to the original posters comment that they already had a payment plan with the IRS.  The only way to add another tax liability to the payment plan is by calling the IRS.  If you do not currently have a payment plan with the IRS you can select 'payment plan' to set one up with IRS.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe the OP understands that you can only add tax liability to an existing payment plan by calling the IRS. The confusion arises from the "How would you like to pay your taxes?" question in TurboTax, since none of the available choices reflect this situation, but you're forced to choose one in order to complete e-filing.
The seemingly obvious choice of "set up a payment plan" doesn't apply here.
I propose choosing "Pay By Check" and then ignoring the check voucher as a way to complete the filing electronically but still allowing the user to adjust their payment plan manually.
Melaine

Nothing, you cannot select a payment choice in TurboTax.  The protocol, if you owe taxes again, is to call the IRS customer service line at 1-800-829-1040 and ask them to add to your current plan.  I would recommend you do that before sending in your return or as soon after.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies