turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

0SL
Returning Member

AGI Verification complicated with computer swap pulling wrong values

TurbotTax populating 2022 AGI with incorrect value causing identification verification failures.  Using new computer since last filing and 2022 TurboTax files lost.  Attempts to use correct value pulled from IRS transcript results in repeat of experience with same incorrect value used.  What file/s can I delete or modify to allow correct value to be entered, used, and produce success or am I destined to use USPS?  And if I must use USPS for Federal, must I also file state with USPS?  And if I must file with USPS, how can I request and receive refund of electronic filing since TurboTax and IRS will not permit me to file online?  Will this problem disappear for me next year if I use the same computer with 2023 tax year files available?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

First try using zero as the AGI.   If zero does not work then you will need to print, sign and mail your returns---both returns will have to be mailed.  A state return cannot be e-filed unless the federal return has been successfully e-filed and accepted.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

You are not paying an extra fee to e-file.   Your online TurboTax fees are for using the software.  There is not a fee to e-file.   Your online TT fee is the same whether you e-file or mail it in an envelope.

If you transfer your 2023 return to a 2024 return next year it should transfer the AGI for you so that you can e-file next year.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
0SL
Returning Member

First:  Thank you so much for your timely and quality response to my posting. TT 2023 download will not permit me to modify the AGI from the previous year but it is capturing an erroneous value from somewhere. I could only discover the problem after attempting to electronically file my returns which required that I provide payment information for state filing which appears to be lost since I shortly received messages that my returns were rejected requiring further ID information in the form of the previous year's AGI.  I retrieved the value from an IRS site and found that when I entered the correct value and saved the file, that the erroneous value remained which leads me to believe that any value entered and further electronic filing would produce the same results.  So since I must now file through USPS, all my expenses for software, filing, and postage appears to be an investment to produce correct data to use for next year's TT filing should I choose that direction.  It's unfortunate that all this is likely a product of my computer failure to require me to start again on a new computer and losing past data.  The erroneous value/s must exist on my new computer in some file and should be searchable and deleteable as the problem appears to be limited to the AGI and other values from the previous year are zeros.  I have printed and reviewed my returns and am gathering supporting tax forms to file as you recommend through USPS, reluctantly.  But with my further description to better counter your experience and assumptions, maybe before going postal (humor) I might find something more I can do to be successful electronically filing this year.  Again, I really appreciate your response to my limited information in my original posting.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

The IRS uses your prior year AGI to combat fraud.   

You can find your 2022 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) by: 

• Looking at line11 on page 1 of your 2022 Form 1040; or 
  • You can request a transcript of your 2022 tax return from the IRS to ensure you have the right number. You can request your transcript online at the following link: Get Transcript 

Check these items as well to ensure you have the correct number.  If you: 

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0. 
  • Amended your return last year—make sure you’re using the AGI from your original return, not the amended one. (If you only have a 1040X form, it’s on line 1, column A). 
  • Rounded your AGI to the nearest dollar—be sure to round up when it’s 50 cents or more and down when it’s 49 cents or less. 
  • Filed with your spouse last year—you and your spouse have the same 2022 AGI. (Don’t split the AGI amount or enter 0 for one of you). 

Time-saving Tip: If what you entered is correct and you continue to get a reject, you won't be able to e-file. There's probably a data mismatch at the government, or some other situation beyond your control that prevents your return from being e-filed. In this case, your only option would be to print and mail in your return. 

This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies