turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

After reviewing my return I was to receive around $8000 for my return. After I submitted it electronically through TurboTax it said my submission was send successfully for a refund of $2000! Something

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

After reviewing my return I was to receive around $8000 for my return. After I submitted it electronically through TurboTax it said my submission was send successfully for a refund of $2000! Something

Print out your tax forms...and look at the State and Federal refunds.  Maybe the bigger number was for the total...and 2k is just for one of them.

Though not impossible, that level of refund seems pretty high.   Are you sure you entered your data properly.  Occasionally some folks mis-key their Federal or state withholding on their W-2 forms  (you DID use your actual W-2 didn't you?).

We never recommend filing before 1 Feb.  Right now, the IRS has said they will begin processing the week of 27 Jan...so filing this early is usually not helpful, since they end up randomly pulling files the first week anyhow (though they will do some test file runs early on a few tax returns )

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I just had one W2 and I’m a single mother with three children. I usually get a big amount back on my return. When I submitted my return it said I was getting back around $8000 as I said, then after I submitted it something changed. What I’d like to know is, is there any way to review it and make sure everything is correct on it? Or to amend it if something is wrong? How can I correct a mistake if one was made?

And I’m sorry I didn’t know not to file before a certain date. I just entered all my information in and when it said I could file I submitted it. I don’t understand why TurboTax would tell me it ok to submit my taxes if it was not a good time to do so. The more I look into this the more it seems like TurboTax is at fault for this mistake. 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

If you entered all of your tax information, you were okay to file. The IRS is not accepting returns until January 27, but if you submitted, it is similar to being dropped in the mail and sent.

The refund tracker is dynamic and changes with every entry you make. Sometimes, one click can change the availability on a credit, dependent, or some other item affecting the outcome of your return. Your first step should be to review this year's return against your 2018 return. The tax law did not substantially change between 2018 & 2019, so if your income remained similar, you should be able to compare line-by-line and see where there are significant differences, if any. The 1040 Form did change in format, however, so be sure to look at the lines for taxable income, total tax, and any credit amounts. The line numbers will not match up.

If you see differences that you believe are in error for 2019, you may need to amend your return. You will not be able to complete this process until the IRS has accepted your return. If they reject your return, you can make changes and refile accordingly.

TurboTax also offers TurboTax Live, where you can upgrade to have an expert agent review your return. These agents are available to assist you prior to filing your return. You may consider this option if you need to amend your return.

Amending your Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Another thing to check is your printed forms (Always print out your tax file). 

There is one refund number you might have seen as the total of both Fed & state, and then the two refunds (fed & state) show separately on the forms.  Even IF you entered and filed all your information properly, the refunds come separately...not all at once.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies