Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

After downloading file and Turbotax program for amendment, I keep getting Error: 190 although it states I was able to download file?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

After downloading file and Turbotax program for amendment, I keep getting Error: 190 although it states I was able to download file?

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW TAX RETURN)

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See error 190

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-190-when-opening-file-in-turbot...

ctbull
Returning Member

I followed the instructions for the error message 190 but I keep getting the same message

ctbull
Returning Member

I followed those instructions for opening new file and downloaded the state. closed the return and opened agin to find the return and I still get the error message.  

vinman34

i have the same error.  trying to amend. had to reinstall new version.  now getting this error

decaturkev
Returning Member

I have the same problem with my reloading of TT for 2019. Created fake returns and it keeps downloading the the free state for 2019. Will not open the state form.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If you followed the steps in the FAQ posted in this thread and it did not resolve the issue, you will need to reach out to TurboTax Support for assistance. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@decaturkev

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This worked when I slowed down and carefully followed VolvoGirl's advice.  You must uninstall TurboTax 2021, then reinstall TurboTax 2021, then BEFORE OPENING ANY EXISTING OR NEW TAX RETURN, you need to download any and all states from your windows/browser downloader (I already had both states showing up as .exe files and loaded them carefully one by one).  Once the main TurboTax 2021 is installed, and the state .exe files run/loaded, only then can you go back and open the 2021 return.  I was very happy that this finally worked.  🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies