Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Advanced level - Backdoor ROTH IRA conversion timing

Thanks fanfare! So I Turbotax will generate the tax when I report the conversion in my 2023 returns, right?

@Tiborone wrote:

Sounds good. So the steps if I understand well will be:

- add another 6,5k nondeductible contribution per person today (increased amount for 2023. It is an optional step now, but I would elect to do this)

- convert 12,5k to Roth as soon as possible, when the additional 6.5k settles in the Fidelity account

- report 6k non-deductible traditional IRA contribution for 2022 through 8606 (the amount I did on April 17)

- report the additional 6,5k non-deductible contribution I make today on 2023 return through 8606

- report the 12,5k Roth conversion on the 2023 tax return.

How do I pay taxes on the remaining 109$? And after indicating it as taxable, can I convert that to Roth as well? Thanks again. 

Just for my sake, I'm going to repeat this in chronological order.

1. File your 2022 return reporting the non-deductible contributions to traditional IRAs (you and your spouse, I think.)

2. Make a non-deductible 2023 contribution.  Wait for it to settle.

3. Rollover/convert the entire balance of the traditional IRA to a Roth IRA.

4. In January 2024, the plan trustee will send a 1099-R reporting the conversion.  It should have the entire amount converted listed in box 1 (gross distribution) and in box 2a (taxable amount) with box 2b checked ("taxable amount not determined").  There should be a code 2 in box 12.

5. Prepare your 2023 tax return.  You will list the non-deductible contribution and the 1099-R for the conversion.  Turbotax will prepare a form 8606 which will calculate that only $109 of the conversion is taxable. 

Please refer to Form 8606 Part II Lines 16,17, and 18.

Perfect, now everything is clear. Thank you Opus 17, fanfare and BarbL, great community here.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies