Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ADP late on W2 correction

I contacted my employer on Feb 24 about an error on my W2 (incorrect HSA contributions). They immediately contacted ADP to correct. On March 2, my HR department told me that  ADP would be sending the corrected form tomorrow. It is now April 4 and I still have yet to receive the form. I've asked my HR dept for an update at least 2x a week since then and all they can tell me is that they've been trying to get an answer from ADP, with no luck.

Question is, do I still need to contact the IRS and get Form 4852? Technically, my employer is trying, it's ADP just dragging their heels. Or should I just forget about alerting IRS, extend the return, and keep waiting for the W2C?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

If you file as-is, then you will certainly have to file an amended return later on down the road to account for the error in reporting your HSA contributions.

If you file an extension, then when the W-2C comes, you can file your original return without any additional fuss.

Under the circumstances, if you don't owe anything with your original return, then the latter alternative would seem the simplest - the least amount of work by you and by the IRS.

But if you owe money, then you might as well file your return as-is, pay the tax due, then get prepared to file the amended return in a month or two (although I hope the W-2C comes faster than that).

Forget the 4852 - the IRS does have a copy of your W-2, just not the corrected one. Besides, the process for 4852 involves the IRS calling your employer for the corrected W-2; but your employer is not the problem.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

If you file as-is, then you will certainly have to file an amended return later on down the road to account for the error in reporting your HSA contributions.

If you file an extension, then when the W-2C comes, you can file your original return without any additional fuss.

Under the circumstances, if you don't owe anything with your original return, then the latter alternative would seem the simplest - the least amount of work by you and by the IRS.

But if you owe money, then you might as well file your return as-is, pay the tax due, then get prepared to file the amended return in a month or two (although I hope the W-2C comes faster than that).

Forget the 4852 - the IRS does have a copy of your W-2, just not the corrected one. Besides, the process for 4852 involves the IRS calling your employer for the corrected W-2; but your employer is not the problem.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies