Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Added a 2022 IRA contribution in April 2023. How do I get TT to credit my deductions?

TurborTax instructed me to make an additional IRA contribution for 2022 to reduce my tax payment. I instructed IRA account to apply the contribution to 2022. I checked the box that asked if I made that contribution in 2023 (which TT said I should). Now the contribution didn't reduce the tax payment. 

What do I do? 

If I don't check the 2023 payment box, the update to my payment shows. Do I just override and not check the box?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Added a 2022 IRA contribution in April 2023. How do I get TT to credit my deductions?

To verify are you trying to enter a traditional IRA contribution?

1. Open your return
  2. Click “Deductions &Credits” on the top
  3. Click "I'll choose what to work on"
  4. Scroll down to “Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions” and click “Start
  5. Select “traditional IRA

Your traditional IRA contributions may be tax-deductible. The deduction may be limited if you or your spouse is covered by a retirement plan at work and your income exceeds certain levels. Please see IRA deduction limits for details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It is a traditional IRA and I have no spouse. What is causing the problem appears to be when I contributed to my 2022 contribution. I don't understand why this matters as long as it's before the April 18 deadline.

Thanks for feedback to all in advance.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Generally, this question only matters if you made a conversion in 2022 from a traditional IRA then it will be entered on Form 8606 line 4.

Can you check if the full deduction is listed on line 20 of Schedule 1?

@Tami71 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If I enter total of Box 1 into Box 2, it shows I owe a payment.

If I leave Box 2 blank, it reduces my payment to $0. 

When I went to the Final Review, it brought up that if I made an IRA contribution, I could reduce my payment amount. I punched in scenario numbers to ID what would bring to zero. Now, its saying my income is over the MAGI while being covered by a 401K at work. Is that correct? Why didn't TT flag that when it dangled the contribution option?

Text on the page is as follows:

Tell Us How Much You Contributed

Enter the total amount you put into a traditional IRA for 2022, even if you later transferred some or all of it to a Roth IRA.

Your total 2022 traditional IRA contributions: (Box 1 to enter amount here)

Tell us how much of the above total contribution for 2022 you contributed between January 1, 2023 and April 18, 2023 (Box 2 to enter amount here)

Sounds like I'm stuck. Thanks for helping me with sorting this out. I feel a bit misled by TT, and I'll have to remember this next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies