turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where in the desktop version of TurboTax do I enter community property adjustments for Married Filing Separately (or just enter half my wife's income along with mine)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Where in the desktop version of TurboTax do I enter community property adjustments for Married Filing Separately (or just enter half my wife's income along with mine)?

If you can’t find the worksheet:

1. Sign in to TurboTax and select Take me to my return.
  2. Click  and search for community property worksheet.
  3. Click the Jump to link in the search results.

We’ve added clear instructions directly on the worksheet to help guide you through filling it out correctly.

To make adjustments, type   community property    into the search box and click on the "Jump to community property" link.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301943

This doesn't help. The worksheet says "Amounts entered here won't change your tax return....If you need to make adjustments to the actual tax return please go back and complete the community property adjustment screen or tax withholding screen."  But when I search for "community property adjustment," nothing comes up.  How do I access the community property adjustment screens?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Type   community property    into the search box and click on the "Jump to community property" link.
I will add screenshot to the original answer, comments does not allow for screenshots

Found it.  You might want to adjust the search results so that this information comes up when you type "community property adjustments."
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Thanks for sharing that.

Actually I have to say that this is one area that TurboTax needs to substantially upgrade. Everything else I've done has been incredibly user-friendly -- just answer the questions asked by the program, copy the relevant numbers from the forms, and TurboTax will do the calculations.  For community property, TurboTax essentially says, "If you're married filing separately and live in a community property state, read the relevant IRS publications, figure out which parts of your income and deductions are community property, then figure out how to do the calculations, then finally enter the results of your calculations as an addition adjustment or subtraction adjustment. Just don't expect us to help you do any of this."
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies