jean123

Accidentally filed as dependent when I turned 24

Hi there,

I turned 24 in October of last year, and I just filed my 2020 tax return (early) and accidentally filed that someone can claim me as a dependent because that's what I was so used to (forgot about the 24 year old thing...).

I am so bummed out because I thought I was on top of things filing early and everything and then I realized I made a mistake.

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is, do you think the IRS will see that I am not eligible to be claimed as a dependent and reject my tax return? This would mean I could easily just fix it and re-send it in. 

I just worry that if they accept it when I'm clearly NOT eligible to be claimed as a dependent that I will have to go through the whole mess of amended returns sent by paper mail and everything... I also wish turbotax had given me some sort of warning when I was checking off dependent based off my birthdate :(

At the end of the day, this is totally my fault but I was wondering if anyone had gone through something similar or seen something similar and knows right off the bat if my return will be rejected or not. Thanks in advance!

Was your gross income in 2020 $4,300 or more?

jean123

Yes- I just graduated and got a full time job in the fall as well.

Then you will have to file an amended 2020 tax return after the IRS accepts and processes your tax return.

The IRS will not be accepting or rejecting any 2020 tax returns until February 12, 2020

An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

WendyN2

Please note that your 2020 Amended Return can be processed online (efiled). The IRS will just require the acceptance and processing of the original/incorrect return you've already stated that you've submitted. As noted above, the IRS is not beginning processing until February 12th of 2021 for tax year 2020.