turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dstiens

I have a lost tax file on pc (cd installed). Ihave a pdf copy but it won't transfer all the data by browsing and copying. Any ideas?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a lost tax file on pc (cd installed). Ihave a pdf copy but it won't transfer all the data by browsing and copying. Any ideas?

A PDF transfer is virtually useless as it transfers almost nothing but names SSN's and the final AGI.  Nothing else.

If you do not have the .tax2017 datafile backed up somewhere, then you have to enter 2018 from scratch, and any data you need form 2017 will have to be manually entered by reading your 2017 PDF. Usually not much is required from 2017 unless you own rental properties, or are self employed.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

A PDF transfer is virtually useless as it transfers almost nothing but names SSN's and the final AGI.  Nothing else.

If you do not have the .tax2017 datafile backed up somewhere, then you have to enter 2018 from scratch, and any data you need form 2017 will have to be manually entered by reading your 2017 PDF. Usually not much is required from 2017 unless you own rental properties, or are self employed.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies