turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My daughter worked can I claim her?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

It depends. There are different rules depending on if If your daughter is your qualifying child or qualifying relative.

If she is your Qualifying Child, then she must not have used her income to provide more than half of her own support. If she is your Qualifying Relative, then she must not have earned more than $4050.00 during 2017. 

Please view the TurboTax link below to determine whether she was your Qualifying Child or Qualifying Relative.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/rules-for-claiming-a-dependent-on-your-tax-return/L8LODb...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

It depends. There are different rules depending on if If your daughter is your qualifying child or qualifying relative.

If she is your Qualifying Child, then she must not have used her income to provide more than half of her own support. If she is your Qualifying Relative, then she must not have earned more than $4050.00 during 2017. 

Please view the TurboTax link below to determine whether she was your Qualifying Child or Qualifying Relative.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/rules-for-claiming-a-dependent-on-your-tax-return/L8LODb...

Hal_Al
Level 15

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled

2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are considered third party support and not as support provided by the student.

3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

So, it doesn't matter how much he earned. What matters is how much he spent on support. Money he put into savings does not count as support he spent on him self.

The support value of the home you provided is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants.

Manage cookies