turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jrmoran

Is the number "1-866-602-4279" legit? Received an email from "no-reply@e.turbotax.intuit.com"

When I called the number it asked for my social, name, and email. The lady told me someone had accidentally used my social security number and not to worry about it. My concern is if this was actually turbotax or not.

I'm looking for a specific answer that tells if the number and email are real.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

45 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Is the number "1-866-602-4279" legit? Received an email from "no-reply@e.turbotax.intuit.com"

(800) 446-8848 Call this TurboTax Support number.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jrmoran

I know I can, but I want to know what I asked in the post
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

TurboTax Support will be able to verify if  the number/email is from TurboTax.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jrmoran

I already called and the person told me that she doesn't have a directory of numbers to verify or not, that she could only google and see what others said of the number.

You should report any suspicious emails to https://security.intuit.com/.

866-602-4279 is a valid number for the Security and Privacy Team.

Similar security alerts are sent when you or someone else opens a new account with your SSN or other personal information. Sometimes people create second accounts by mistake.  You can use the account recovery tool to see if you might have a second account associated with one of your email addresses.  https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/  If the new account is one that you are using to file a return, you can contact the security team to have them release the return.

If you believe that you did not create a duplicate account, you should read the below advice and call TurboTax Privacy & Security right away.  Someone may have tried to file a tax return with your SSN.  

However, it is also possible for scammers to copy and alter legitimate emails.  For example, Turbotax will never tell you to install files from an email attachment, or to send personal information via email.  Make sure you do not answer any personal questions by email, and don't put personal information into a web site unless the address is intuit.com and it shows a padlock icon that means the web site is verified by an outside security company.

If you want to independently get a verified number for customer support, use the web form on the Turbotax web site.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300041

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4838253

jrmoran

Opus has answered the question. I would advice that the support people know that a security team exists, she said there was only one department and couldn't transfer me to anyone. They should be able to verify which numbers are legit or not also. And the article pertaining to this event should list the number so that people can crosscheck viability, instead it just says to use the number in the email.

It sounds like you got the correct answer from the security team the first time you called?  If a customer mis-typed their SSN and accidentally got yours, but the name and address on the return were their name and address, then it's probably ok to just call it a typo (especially if the customer fixes the SSN and re-transnmits.)

Turbotax automatically puts a hold on any tax return from a new account where the SSN matches an existing customer.  I would assume (perhaps optimistically) that such holds are manually reviewed to separate typos from real ID theft.  But because the IRS puts strict time limits on such holds, it probably makes sense to notify the customer ASAP instead of waiting until after the manual review.
efneumann

Except that there is no way to know if you're talking to the legit security team instead of a scammer...thus the question on here, and the frustration with being unable to find out through simple searches.  I've been through MULTIPLE help articles on here, searches on Google and Bing, and most of them say the number is a scam.  This is the ONLY place I have found saying that the number is legit.  And when the only PUBLISHED customer service number has no idea if it is a scam or not, it tends to look like it is.  

Your "customer service" process is completely broken, and even your own resources don't have the correct answers.

Mustafko

Did you find out if that's legit number?

I received this email last night too and the email says you only have 48 hours to contact them to report that it is not me. I called the number and it says they are closed until Monday morning which is beyond the 48 hours since I received the email. Will they still process the fraudulent tax return on Sunday?

I received this email last night too and the email says you only have 48 hours to contact them to report that it is not me. I called the number and it says they are closed until Monday morning which is beyond the 48 hours since I received the email. Will they still process the fraudulent tax return on Sunday?

NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER TO SOMEONE THAT CONTACTS YOU (or other personal information for that matter).  

Scammers always try to create a 'sense of urgency' (call back within 48 hours or something bad will happen!)

Also, the IRS does not email or call anyone - it is always via the mail

hover over the email address in the email and see if it some weird sender and not Turbo Tax.  If you need to call back, look at the Turbo Tax Web site and only call the numbers that are listed there.  Do not trust the phone number in the email is legitimate - it may be someone trying to steal your identity!  

the email and number to call are the ones listed in this chain. I was searching to check it's legitimacy and came upon this forum, so it sounds like it is legitimate.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies