Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2023 Tax Electronic Filing with 5-digit IP PIN being rejected, twice now

I just defined this 30 minutes before filing for both my wife and myself.

Being rejected because it says first taxpayer (me) is incorrect.

It is not incorrect because this is my zip code from childhood and I wrote it down to make sure I entered it correctly when I electronically filed. At a loss of what to do? Try to change the IP PIN?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Finally accepted:
I had to log into both my and my wife's IRS accounts (with ID.me verification) after going to get new IP-ID pins:

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/icce-core/loac/ippin/pages/ippin.xhtml
where I was immediately provided with new 6-digit IP-PINs
I went ahead and changed the 5-digit PINs just in case the IRS rejected me using the same 5-digit PINs.

One issue I had was using the search tool within Desktop TurboTax when I typed in "IP-PIN" it did not give me the direct link to change my IP-PIN like it did so many times before. I had to switch over to "Forms" mode and select "Info Wks" then go to Part VII and enter our IP-PINs manually.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

There is a difference between a 5 digit PIN and a 6 digit IP PIN. One is self-selected and you can re-use the prior one or create a new one. The other is issued by the IRS.

5-digit self-select PIN

6-digit IP-PIN

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I retrieved our 6- digit IP-PIN off my 2022 1040 form and entered them into this year's desktop TurboTax for both me and my wife. When I attempted to e-file turbo-tax would not let me proceed without adding a 5-digit PIN for me and my wife. After doing this, once again IRS rejects my e-flied with the following reason:
" IND-180-01 - Primary taxpayer's Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) must match the e-File database. Please double check your entry and resubmit your return with the correct number."

Finally accepted:
I had to log into both my and my wife's IRS accounts (with ID.me verification) after going to get new IP-ID pins:

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/icce-core/loac/ippin/pages/ippin.xhtml
where I was immediately provided with new 6-digit IP-PINs
I went ahead and changed the 5-digit PINs just in case the IRS rejected me using the same 5-digit PINs.

One issue I had was using the search tool within Desktop TurboTax when I typed in "IP-PIN" it did not give me the direct link to change my IP-PIN like it did so many times before. I had to switch over to "Forms" mode and select "Info Wks" then go to Part VII and enter our IP-PINs manually.

scottcook2730
Returning Member

My daughter did not electronically file in 2022.  She created a 5 digit pin on her 2023 return during the efile process.   Turbo tax asked for and provided her 2022 AGI and asked her to supply a 5 digit pin for 2023.  She has gotten a rejection notice twice saying that her 5 digit pin doesn't match the IRS records.  How do we fix this?  

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Please clarify if it is the 5 digit signature pin or the 6 digit IP Pin, you are asking about?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies