Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2021 Form 2210 Calculation Error

Please fix the two page 3 printing problem. For me, I have part III blank on the first page III, and my part III filled out on the second page III ( I have self employment tax). 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Please note that the IRS does not see the PDF that you have. Instead, part of the e-file process is that TurboTax (and any other e-filer) converts the tax return into an XML format (tagged data as opposed to forms) and transmits that to the IRS. You can read about it here.

Thus, while blank pages may be odd, they should not affect the return that the IRS sees.

@pweber6

@RRArtie

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Oops, spoke too soon:

> Your federal tax return was rejected

FED_2210_Annual_Income_Method - There is a potential issue with the calculation regarding Form 2210 when Page 3, Schedule AI - Annualized Income Installment Method is in use.

MJK6
Level 3

@knutsenm @Was this a rejection by TurboTax prior to sending, or a rejection by the Fed after sending?

2210, Annualized Income, page 3, column a, line 14, the tax calculation is incorrect via the dividends and gains tax worksheet which is required in my case.  It picks up the 15% of gains and dividends and uses that as the total tax.  It does not account for the remaining tax due from line 3 less the 15% D&G tax accounted for. That is in the taxpayers favor for any penalty that may be due but coud trigger an audit.  Line 14 colums b anc appear to be correct but the miscalutation in column a effects the amounts shown on line 10, page 2.  I love the Turbotax advertisement, "Taxes Done Correctly".   If you over ride to the correct amount, Turbotax shows that as an form error and with a form error it will not let  me e-file. 

Happened to me too.  Same message.  It came after Turbo Tax sent the return and informed me I would receive notification when the IRS approves or rejects my return.  Five minutes later I got the e-mail message saying the return was rejected.  The state return was also rejected because the Federal return was.  The e-mail said to open the return and follow directions to correct the problem.  When I opened the return it said an update was going to be released today (2/25) that will fix Schedule AI. We'll see.

I’ve had the same exact problem. Does anyone know if the promised TurboTax update was implemented yesterday?

I wish TurboTax would make this correction a priority and put some experts on it. No communication. I don’t want to paper file 100 pages of federal and state tax returns and risk some input error on the IRS end. 

Never received the promised 2/25/22 update to Form 2210 and  it is still not available this morning at 8am EST, so I can't refile the return that IRS rejected because of Turbotax errors.

My guess is you have another error in the 2210 series of forms. I thought it hadn’t been updated because I only made a casual look at the red error dot on the Forms section. Turns out it had substituted a penalty calculation form and the 2210 and 2210AI were good. Take another look at your forms 

The problem is that Turbotax has not provided an update since 2/24/22 for Form 2210.  Have done check for updates multiple times since then and no update occurs as Fix the Error link says it would.  Unless the TT Fix the error is wrong, and multiple others have gotten the same message from TT when their returns are rejected, need to wait until TT actually issues another update before refiling.  TT checks repeatedly show no errors in my inputs.

If you print Form 2210 you will see that at the bottom it shows the last revision as 2/17/22

Has anyone efiled successfully this week with the recent 2210 form fix TT update? Seems the major bug which doubled the first quarter tax is resolved now. But ppl still got rejections even with the fix so I assume there might either be other bugs? 

I did yesterday.  I think it helps to check any dates you entered like today's date or when to pay the balance due to make sure they are later than filing where need be. These dates did not auto update.

There remain two other substantive errors on Form 2210 as of 2/26/2021:

1. The tax computations on schedule AI, line 14 column (a), (b), and (c) are incorrect if you have qualified dividends. Specifically, on my return Turbotax is incorrectly applying exactly a -12% tax rate to my qualified dividends when it should be a +15% tax rate. This error results in estimated quarterly taxes that are lower than they should be by 27% of qualified dividend income.

2. IRS instructions for Form 2210, Line 11 state "Any overpayment from your 2020 return applies to your 2021 estimated tax payments. Generally, treat the payment as made on April 15, 2021." Instead Turbotax incorrectly fails to apply the prior year refund to any quarter in Form 2210. 

ssel
Level 2

I do have qualified dividends, and the tax calculations on my Schedule AI Line 14 are correct.  There must be some other combination of factors that trigger the error you're seeing there.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies