Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2021 amended return

I received a Schedule K-1 after I filed my 2021 taxes.  I started the process to amend my return but somehow, Turbotax changed the taxable part of my husband's Social Security benefits.  Why would this happen and how do I get it to go back to the original amount on the return I already filed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

2021 amended return

If you are amending your return to add income from Schedule K-1, then it is normal that the taxable portion of the Social Security benefits you previously entered may also change. 

Whether or not your Social Security income is taxable depends on your total income, including your Social Security plus any other income. 

See this help article for more information regarding the taxability of Social Security income. TurboTax will calculate the taxable amount when you input all of your income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

2021 amended return

The K-1 was mine, the Social Security benefits were my husand's.  Why would his Social Security taxable benefits be changed?  (I also draw retirement pay, but it's not Social Security.)

2021 amended return

On a Joint return it doesn't matter whose income and ss it is.  Sorry.  It's all combined.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

2021 amended return

Your taxable amount of the Social Security changed because your combined income changed because of the k-1. Here is why?

For those with additional sources of income, the key figure is the Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI). The MAGI includes half of your Social Security, plus other sources of income. Once your MAGI exceeds the base amount for your filing status ($32,000 for Married Filing Jointly or $25,000 for all others), at least part of your Social Security income becomes taxable. The taxable portion of your Social Security income increases once you reach additional MAGI thresholds.  This information can be found in the following Turbo Tax post.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies