2019 tax liability

dongwang2000

2019 tax liability

Hi,

I have this question in Turbotax state section:

"Enter your Arizona tax liability for 2019 after deducting any tax credits"

I am a little confused how to answer this. Is it for my total tax due in 2019(Which I already paid) or the amount I did not pay until now?

Thanks a lot!

DMarkM1

2019 tax liability

This question is asking for your prior year (2019) AZ tax liability which is what was due to be paid according to your 2019 return (whether paid or not).   

dongwang2000

2019 tax liability

Do you mean the total tax that is needed to be paid for year 2019? The amount I put in increased my 2020 tax payment do you know why? Thanks a lot!

JohnW152

2019 tax liability

You indicate that entering an amount increased your 2020 tax payment, so the context of this question is most likely a potential estimated payment penalty.  The amount you need would be found on line 52 -- Balance of tax -- of your 2019 Form 140.

According to Line 76 - Estimated Payment Penalty of the Form 140 instructions found at Form 140,

Do not complete Arizona Form 221, Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals, if the amount on Form 140, line 53, is more than the amount on Form 140, line 52.