Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

2019 Tax Filing

I tried to e-file my 2019 taxes using TurboTax and it says that a return has already been filed with the same social security number.  My wife and I file jointly, so not sure which SSN they are referencing.  We have not filed yet, and TurboTax says we haven't filed, but when we try, TurboTax gives us this message.  How do we proceed?

2 Replies
Not applicable

2019 Tax Filing

Not applicable

2019 Tax Filing

once you get that message your only option is to mail in the return


it may be someone mistyped their SSN or

did one of you go online to register for stimulus payment - the IRS takes that as having filed a return (though its's not really the case) or

or one of you could be the victim of identity theft.  the iRS phone limes are closed and no one knows when they'll reopen. .   if you suspect identity theft rather than the other possibilities see below for steps to take to protect your self. 


sometimes the last three digits in the reject code will indicate the taxpayer for example 001 would be the first listed 


Credit Agencies

1) Report the identity theft to the fraud department of one of the following reporting agencies as soon as possible. They must notify the other two agencies.

  • Equifax:
  • Experian:
  • TransUnion:

2) Request a copy of your credit report and request that only the last

four digits of your Social Security number be placed on the report.

3) Close accounts that you think have been compromised or opened


4) Inform the credit bureaus and the credit issuers (in writing) of any

fraudulent accounts and incorrect information.

5) Obtain replacement credit cards with new, secure account numbers

and destroy any old cards.

6) Notify those who have received your credit report in the last six

months to alert them to any disputed, fraudulent or incorrect information.

7) Confirm that an extended fraud alert (seven years) is placed on your

credit report.


Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

1) Report the crime to the FTC to establish an Identity Theft Affidavit.

Identity Theft Victim’s Complaint and Affidavit.


Local Police

1)Report the crime to your local police or sheriff’s department. Make

sure to prompt as much documented evidence as possible.

2)Verify that the report lists the fraudulent accounts and keep a copy

of the report.


Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

1) Contact the IRS to report the theft. This will alert them to any claim

for refund or other activity on your account. File IRS Form 14039,

Identify Theft Affidavit.


State Tax Agency

1) Contact your state tax agency to report the theft. Some agencies

may require a police report and/or the IRS affidavit.


Other Agencies and Organizations

1) U.S. mail fraud: Contact your local postal inspector.

  • Online:
  • Phone: 800.275.8777

2) Social Security number misuse — non-IRS issues:

-Check your earnings record to make sure no one is using your SSN

to obtain work. Call your local Social Security Administration (SSA)

office if something looks inaccurate.

-Contact the SSA Inspector General to report Social Security benefit

fraud, employment fraud, or welfare fraud.

  • Online reporting resources:


- Fraud Reporting Form

  • SSA fraud hotline: 800.269.0271


Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings