turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

srs2017

2 weeks ago, my estimated refund for next year was over $4,000. Today, it's showing me as owing $1,500, despite all of the same information. What changed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

2 weeks ago, my estimated refund for next year was over $4,000. Today, it's showing me as owing $1,500, despite all of the same information. What changed?

No one can see any of your information, nor have you mentioned what you did to estimate your next refund.   Please provide some details.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
srs2017

I used the tool in turbo tax. My point was, based on my income, deductions, etc. for the upcoming year, I was projected to get 4k+ back. With all of the same numbers, it now says I’ll owe. I wasn’t sure if there were changes in tax laws I needed to know. My deductions/credits are standard deduction, I have 1 dependent, child care credit (spend over 15k in daycare costs)

The estimater tool may have still been set on 2021 rules and for 2022 the CTC and day care credit have both returned to the pre 2021 rates.  

Try this IRS  tool instead : https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

The taxcaster tool changed very recently to use 2022 tax rules.   You might have used it when it was still using 2021 rules.   For 2022, there is no recovery rebate credit and the child tax credit drops down from $3600 or $3000 to a maximum of  $2000.   The childcare credit is also less for 2022.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies