Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099R Death of spouse

My wife died in 2023 after taking her full IRA RMD.  I rolled her IRA into my own and then took my RMD. For her form 8606, I carried over her basis from her 2022 return and used the date of death account value as the year end value of her IRA. How do I get her remaining basis into my IRA? Do I calculate her 2023 end of year basis and add it to my basis from 2022 when Turbotax asks for my basis or do I wait until I do my 2024 return and then add her basis to my basis? How do I do either of these?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

1099R Death of spouse

The basis rolled over to your own needs to be added to your own on the 2023 tax return.  on the page that lists the Forms 1099-R that you have entered, click the Continue button.  Answer Yes when asked if you have basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions.  On the next page, click the EasyGuide button.  TurboTax will present a page with checkboxes where you can mark the box to indicate that you inherited basis from your spouse.  After doing that, enter the amount of basis that remains after subtracting the amount of basis applied to your wife's IRA distribution(s).  TurboTax will then prompt you to provide an explanation of this adjustment to your basis.  TurboTax will include the adjustment on line 2 of your 2023 Form 8606 by adding it to your own basis carried in from 2022.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

1099R Death of spouse

The basis rolled over to your own needs to be added to your own on the 2023 tax return.  on the page that lists the Forms 1099-R that you have entered, click the Continue button.  Answer Yes when asked if you have basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions.  On the next page, click the EasyGuide button.  TurboTax will present a page with checkboxes where you can mark the box to indicate that you inherited basis from your spouse.  After doing that, enter the amount of basis that remains after subtracting the amount of basis applied to your wife's IRA distribution(s).  TurboTax will then prompt you to provide an explanation of this adjustment to your basis.  TurboTax will include the adjustment on line 2 of your 2023 Form 8606 by adding it to your own basis carried in from 2022.

1099R Death of spouse

Thanks so much. Please ignore the duplicate question I just posted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies