Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099NEC

A friend hired a contractor to renovate her home, he was short on help so paid me to do 2 rooms. I received a 1099 NEC for the amount he paid me but that amount was for labor and materials. I do not have a business, this was a one off situation. Where do I subtract out the cost of materials, which accounted for over 1/2 off what I received?   thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

1099NEC

First of all, in order to deduct the cost of materials, you will need to use TurboTax Self-Employed if using the online version.  It looks like you are using TurboTax Online Premiere.  You will report your 1099-NEC income on Schedule C, as if you had a business and were self-employed.  The program will guide you through entering your income (Form 1099-NEC) and your expenses.  Don't forget to claim any other expenses you might have, such as mileage or out of pocket costs for which you were not reimbursed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099NEC

I'm in a similar situation.  I learned you're supposed to get a 1099-NEC if you made over $600.  You enter the 1099-NEC and then you'll have to create a schedule C regardless if you have a formal business or not.  This is where you claim your, "business" deductions. 

Note: I am using Turbotax Deluxe..

MayaD
Expert Alumni

1099NEC

The IRS has reintroduced Form 1099-NEC as the new way to report self-employment income instead of Form 1099-MISC as traditionally had been used.

To claim your Business expenses, you need to upgrade to Turbo Tax Self-Employed (Online) or TurboTax Home & Business (desktop).

To report the income on your return:

• Select Federal from the left menu.
  • Go to Wages and Income then select Income and Expenses.
  • Go to Self-employment income and expenses and click start. you'll be asked some general questions about your business. After you answer them, you’ll be taken to enter your Income and Expenses.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies