1099G - Federal Tax Withheld

Ochrysler

1099G - Federal Tax Withheld

I received unemployment while furloughed due to COVID and there is a dollar amount in My 1099G box 4 (Federal tax withheld), do I check the "Federal or state tax withheld on this payment" when I'm filing out my information?

1099G - Federal Tax Withheld

UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION

Unemployment compensation is taxable on your federal return.

You will have to enter a 1099G that is issued by your state.

Some states will mail out the 1099G.  Or you might need to go to your state’s unemployment website and use the password, etc. that you have been using to certify for weekly benefits to get your 1099G from the state’s site.

Enter your 1099G in Federal>Wages & Income>Unemployment

Go through the screens very carefully, making sure to enter any federal/state tax you had withheld from the unemployment.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-report-a-1099-g-for-unemploymen...

STATES THAT TAX UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS

AZ, AR, CO, CT, DE, DC, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, NB, NM, NY,NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, RI, SC, UT, VT, WV, WI

STATES THAT DO NOT  TAX UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS on the state return

AK, CA, FL, MT, NH, NJ, NV ,PA, SD, TN, TX, VA, WA, WY

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/personal-income-taxes/help/how-does-receiving-unemployment-affect-...

1099G - Federal Tax Withheld

Yes check that box.  To enter withholding on Unemployment:

After you enter the Payer's name & address then on the next screen you select your state and enter the amount of Unemployment, there is a checkbox that says "Federal or state income tax was withheld on this payment".  You have to check it for the withholding boxes to show up on the next screen.