meltdown

1099-R

2a is blank as well as 2b no boxes are checked.   only amount is on line 5 which is the same as the gross distribution code is D4 when I put it in nothing changes I would think it was taxable income right?

dmertz

1099-R

In this case with box 5 equaling box 1 and box 2b Taxable amount not determined unmarked, the blank box 2a means $0 is taxable.  The payer should have put a zero in box 2a, but some payers have faulty systems for generating Forms 1099-R.  If TurboTax complains about the blank box 2a or includes any of this money in income on Form 1040 line 4d, enter a zero in box 2a of TurboTax's 1099-R form.  (Since your AGI does not change when you enter this Form 1099-R, it seems that TurboTax is handling it correctly.)

PJ-918

1099-R

That was a perfect answer to my situation even though my specifics were a bit diff. As soon as I entered a zero in 2b, bam! All my numbers self corrected. 

I was dealing with a 1099r rollover that TT wanted to include as income. That zero adjusted it perfectly.

Thanks!