Solved: 1099-R

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
htjones
Level 1

1099-R

I rolled over a 401k to a roth ira in December 2020.

My 1099R shows no taxable amount in box 2a and 2b.  When entering this 1099R into Turbotax and answering the question stating that I am rolling over this 401k to a Roth, turbotax still does not count the amount as taxable.  

Can someone help

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
macuser_22
Level 15

1099-R

@htjones wrote:

Yes, box 7 is coded G.

The check was sent directly to my new broker.

If the 1099R was sent wrong, how should I handle this with my tax return?

If the check was made out properly then your broker should have deposited it into a Traditional IRA and not a Roth.   I doubt that the 401(k) plan will issue a corrected 1099-R, but the rules say you must ask them.

Assuming that they refuse to issue a corrected 1099-R then you use a substitute 1099-R instead (there is an option for a substitute on the IRA type screen).

Enter everything the same as your 1099-R but make box 2a the same as box 1.   Answer NO to the rollover to a 401(k) and YES to the rollover to a Roth IRA question.    Enter  explanation statement that the rollover went to a Roth and not a Traditional IRA and the 401(k) plan refused to re-issue the 1099-R.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies
macuser_22
Level 15

1099-R

@htjones wrote:

I rolled over a 401k to a roth ira in December 2020.

My 1099R shows no taxable amount in box 2a and 2b.  When entering this 1099R into Turbotax and answering the question stating that I am rolling over this 401k to a Roth, turbotax still does not count the amount as taxable.  

Can someone help

Is the box 7 code  G?

A zero in box 2a indicates that the 1099-R insurer directed the rollover to a Traditional IRA, not a Roth or box 2a would probably the same as box 1.

If you were issued  a check to deposit the  it shoukd have been payable to your Traditional IRA and should never have ended up in a Roth.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
htjones
Level 1

1099-R

Yes, box 7 is coded G.

macuser_22
Level 15

1099-R

@htjones wrote:

Yes, box 7 is coded G.

If the check was made out properly then your broker should have deposited it into a Traditional IRA and not a Roth.   I doubt that the 401(k) plan will issue a corrected 1099-R, but the rules say you must ask them.

Assuming that they refuse to issue a corrected 1099-R then you use a substitute 1099-R instead (there is an option for a substitute on the IRA type screen).

Enter everything the same as your 1099-R but make box 2a the same as box 1.   Answer NO to the rollover to a 401(k) and YES to the rollover to a Roth IRA question.    Enter  explanation statement that the rollover went to a Roth and not a Traditional IRA and the 401(k) plan refused to re-issue the 1099-R.

View solution in original post

htjones
Level 1

1099-R

Thank you very much.  You have been very helpful.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings