cjejr1983

1099-R

I moved back to NJ in 2018 after living Maryland. In 2019, I requested my pension withdrawn from MD. I received my 1099-R. My question is, do I file state taxes for both Maryland and NJ even though I didn’t live in MD in 2019?

HelenC12

1099-R

No, if you're required to file a state income tax return, you would only file in NJ. Retirement income is entered in the state you lived in, when you received the checks/payments.

If you moved during the year, then you may need to file part year returns in both states, allocating retirement income based upon the timing of both.

• Allocating unearned income is pretty straightforward – just allocate it to the state you were a resident of when you received it

Related information:

Mermaid1

1099-R

Where do I make the adjustment for 1099-R income due to two state residency?  I am filing in two states as a part-year resident, and would like to allocate the retirement income accordingly so I pay taxes to each state only for the months I resided in each state. Thanks!!

DeanM15

1099-R

You will make the allocations for income and expenses in each state program. 

When you file as a part-year state resident, there is an allocation section for income and expenses which generally appears after you enter the fact that you were only a part-year resident. It will take you through wage income, retirement income, business income and more. 

@Mermaid1