turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cjejr1983

1099-R

I moved back to NJ in 2018 after living Maryland. In 2019, I requested my pension withdrawn from MD. I received my 1099-R. My question is, do I file state taxes for both Maryland and NJ even though I didn’t live in MD in 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

1099-R

No, if you're required to file a state income tax return, you would only file in NJ. Retirement income is entered in the state you lived in, when you received the checks/payments.

If you moved during the year, then you may need to file part year returns in both states, allocating retirement income based upon the timing of both.

• Allocating unearned income is pretty straightforward – just allocate it to the state you were a resident of when you received it

Related information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099-R

Where do I make the adjustment for 1099-R income due to two state residency?  I am filing in two states as a part-year resident, and would like to allocate the retirement income accordingly so I pay taxes to each state only for the months I resided in each state. Thanks!!

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

1099-R

You will make the allocations for income and expenses in each state program. 

When you file as a part-year state resident, there is an allocation section for income and expenses which generally appears after you enter the fact that you were only a part-year resident. It will take you through wage income, retirement income, business income and more. 

@Mermaid1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies