Skip to main content
Level 2
March 24, 2022
Question

1099-MISC, Schedule C or 1099 NEC?

  • March 24, 2022
  • 5 replies
  • 20 views

I do not own a business and did not receive a 1099-MISC but need to claim additional income?  What is the best option to use for 2021 taxes?

    5 replies

    Alumni - Intuit
    March 24, 2022

    Please clarify what the additional income came from.   You do have to claim the income but where you claim the income depends on what the source of the income is.    

    Kat0021Author
    Level 2
    March 24, 2022

    To clarify, I did a few production samples for my previous employer of 6 years ago.  I guess this could be consider consultant work.

    Alumni - Intuit
    March 24, 2022

    If you received less than $600 your previous employer does not have to issue a 1099-NEC (replaced the 1099-MISC for non-employee compensation).   This would be reported on a Schedule C  had you received the 1099-NEC.   If the amount you received is less than $600, and you do not have a business and you did not receive a 1099-NEC then I would report it as other income.

     

    On the other hand, if you received more than $600 you should have received the 1099-NEC and I should report it on a Schedule C.  You can take any expenses you incurred to do this work as a deduction on Schedule C.