1099-Misc help

zyx321

1099-Misc help

Hi,

My wife and I own a rental property and we received a 1099-MISC from our property manager that includes the rent we charge as well as Box 3 (Other Income).  That other income is pet rent (the fee we charge for the tenants having a large dog).  TurboTax Premier wants to file it as a Schedule C, but I disagree.  I'm not entirely sure where it should go, but pretty sure it shouldn't go on a Schedule C.  Am I wrong?  If not, what do I do to have it report correctly?  Thanks!

Bsch4477

1099-Misc help

Report it all as rental income. 

zyx321

1099-Misc help

Thanks!

Carl

1099-Misc help

For next year, I would suggest you inform your property manager of the following.

All income received for rental property from all sources for any reason is rental income. Period. End of Story.

So next year everything *and I mean every single penny* gets reported in box 1. If they disagree, then find another property manager. They're just flat out wrong.