turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

1099-MISC for Royalties Oil

Where do I enter the royalties and taxes? Should I be entering depletion?

2 Replies

1099-MISC for Royalties Oil

If yoy are reporting royalty received on a 1099- MISC
In the panel on the left select Federal

Wages and Income

Other Common Income

Form 1099-MISC

Fill in the information from your 1099-MISC and Continue


To report depletion you would have to upgrade to self-employed and enter the oil as a business. You would include depletion under other expenses.

Level 15
Level 15

1099-MISC for Royalties Oil

You should be able to use the TurboTax FAQ linked below for instructions on entering your royalty income.  


I use the Desktop (CD/Download) edition, and the interview does ask about maintenance fees and does figure depletion.


How do I enter a 1099-MISC for royalty income? 

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies