Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-K For sale of personal property on Reverb.com

Hi - I sold some of my unused music gear on a site called Reverb.com this year.  It is my understanding that I will be getting a 1099K for the sales of these - all were just personal sales of stuff that I no longer use and Reverb makes it so that I can sell to other folks/musicians - similar to eBay - except no bidding

Now just to clarify:

* Total sales are $1934.

* I sold everything for less than I paid for them -

* using TT Deluxe 2022

I enter a 1099k Summary specifying that that this is for personal sales - I then get directed in the 'learn more' and get these directions: 

"Be sure to select Personal Items under the What type of investment did you sell? The Cost or other basis amount should be the amount you originally paid for the item. Select Continue when you’re finished to go to the Review your Sales screen. If there was more than one personal item sale included in the 1099-K amount, select Add another sale to add each item. If not, you can Continue.
If you sold your personal item(s) for a loss, that loss cannot offset other income on your tax return like capital loss items (stocks)."

I follow all of the directions and what is confusing is that the program calculates loss and I don't see a way for it not to do this. Am I missing something?  As an aside,  my goodness I wouldn't have tried to sell anything if I knew this would be such a pain...

Thanks in advance...

* - I just saw that the IRS is delaying this until 2023 (tax year 2022)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You need to enter a cost basis for the items sold and also indicate in the program that the items were held for personal use (so a loss is not calculated). 

Alternatively, you can enter the selling price as the cost basis to ensure a loss is not calculated.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You need to enter a cost basis for the items sold and also indicate in the program that the items were held for personal use (so a loss is not calculated). 

Alternatively, you can enter the selling price as the cost basis to ensure a loss is not calculated.

Entering the selling price for cost basis was a solution I was considering as it seemed to work - thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies