Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gobipat1

1099-INT is calculated wrong charging 30% Tax rate

Hi,

For Married Individuals Filing Joint Returns - $89,450 to $190,750 - I am at $147000 Gross. (22% bracket)

When I add 1099-INT $1000, my tax return is reduced by 30%. instead of 22%, why it's reducing it to 30%  ? How the turbo tax calculates my returns is confusing.

Thanks 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If your refund is reduced by 30% it is likely because when you added the interest, you lost a credit of some sort.  The best way to tell exactly what is changing is to look at your 1040 form and compare line by line the numbers on the form when you have the interest entered and when you don't.  So start by looking at your form 1040 (and either printing it - if you are using the desktop version or have already paid for the online version or writing all the numbers down) while you have the 1099-INT entered, then go back and delete the 1099-INT and compare the numbers.  This will tell you exactly what has changed. 

On the menu bar on the left that shows. 

1. Select Tax Tools 
  2. On the drop-down select Tools 
  3. On the pop-up menu 
  4. Select View Tax Summary 
  5. On the left sidebar, select Preview my 1040 
  6. On the menu bar on the left that shows. 

1. Select Tax Tools 
  2. On the drop-down select Tools 
  3. On the Pop-Up menu select Delete a Form 
  4. This will give you all of the forms in your return 
  5. Scroll down to the form you want to delete 
  6. Select the Form 
  7. Click on Delete

Always use extreme caution when deleting information from your tax return.  There could be unintended consequences. 

To do this in the desktop program, you will just switch to forms mode. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When you enter one taxable transaction, you can't just watch the monitor.  You increased your overall adjusted gross income and with that come many other changes in your return, not just the incremental tax on the one transaction.

Like for example it increased your AGI and that would decrease some deductions if you itemized on Schedule A.  And by increasing your AGI it might reduce some credits you were getting like EIC.  And can make more of any Social Security taxable.

You would have to compare both returns line by line before and after you entered the income to see all the changes.

I once added $6 in interest and the tax went up $12! It pushed me into the next tax bracket. I was right at the line.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies