Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098-E form doesn't have my name or lender's name

For context, due to the student loan repayment pause I only paid about $300 in student loan interest in 2023. Therefore I wasn't mailed a 1098-E.  I did, however, download my 1098-E from the MOHELA website. 

When inputting my information into TurboTax it asks if my name is on the 1098-E and for the name of my lender. The 1098-E form I got from MOHELA is very confusing so I'm unsure if I can claim the $300 or how to answer those questions.

Under Recipient/Lender name and address, they list the MOHELA address but no Lender name. However, they list the Dept of Education's TIN under "Recipient TIN". Under Borrower's name and address, it is completely blank. However, the form does have my account number and the last 4 of my social under "Borrower's TIN."

Can I claim the student loan interest this year? Any help would be appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

1098-E form doesn't have my name or lender's name

Yes, you can claim the $300 student loan interest that you paid.  The loan is in your name and you paid the interest.  

You would be the recipient, so that would be your SSN.

MOHELA is a loan servicer so you would just enter their information or whatever information you downloaded with the form.  You can list MOHELA as the lender and use the address on their website or contact them in order to get their TIN.

Student Loan Interest Deduction

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies