Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

clsmith29
Returning Member

1095-A form columb b&c nothing in them

There is nothing in column b & c on my 1095-A form , I didn't receive any subsidy and paid full premium amounts for my estimated income of $52,000 my actual income for 2023 was $51,100. I am trying to figure out if I use the taxtool.coverme.gov it gives me a total of $433.20 to put for each month, my work offered insurance for my self and my son but it was only affordable for myself not for both of us this is why i went through the marketplace for his health coverage. Do I use the $433.20 i got by using the taxtool on the coverme.gov website in column B? Do I need to fill out the 8962 form and file this with my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If you paid full price and did not get the tax credit and are sure you do not qualify for the tax credit, you do not need to fill out form 8962. 

Also, if your price for insurance was less than 8.39% of your income for you alone, then it would be considered affordable which means you do not qualify for the credit.

If the cost with adding your son was more than 8.39% for you and your son, then his would not be considered affordable.  

Since you have 2 members in your family, then you may qualify for some sort of premium tax credit since your income is less than 400% of the poverty level for 2 people in your home.  However, since both of your premiums are listed on your 1095-A, if you enter it as is, then you will get a credit when YOU are not eligible.  If you don't enter it, you won't get the credit for your son who may be eligible.

So, you would need to contact healthcare.gov to explain the situation and get separate 1095-A's.  There really is no other way to split the amounts from the same 1095-A so you don't get the credit and he does since the IRS wants the numbers reported as they are reported to them. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
clsmith29
Returning Member

So I have health insurance through my work for me because it isn't affordable for me to add him to my policy I went through the marketplace and they told me that he wouldn't qualify for any tax credit but then the 1095-A form states that I have to enter something in column B for the second level of silver  premium amount.  which I explained all of this to the coverme.gov representative I spoke with yesterday. She just advised I use the tax tool to figure out what the amount would be, but I don't know that I should use that or try another call to coverme.gov and see if someone else says otherwise. 

clsmith29
Returning Member

On my 1995-A only his premiums for his insurance through the marketplace is listed not mine through my employer. Would I enter the numbers plus the amount for column B that I got using the tax took through coverme.gov? 

@clsmith29 wrote:

On my 1995-A only his premiums for his insurance through the marketplace is listed not mine through my employer. Would I enter the numbers plus the amount for column B that I got using the tax took through coverme.gov? 

If you had health care insurance through your employer you do not enter anything concerning your insurance on the Form 1095-A.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies