dandydani89

1040x

I filed my tax returns normally like I do every year State Federal nothing fancy

but because I received unemployment last year,2020 going into this year 2021

and I didn't file anything to do with unemployment,

am I supposed to fill out and mail in a 1040x tax amend form?

Michele_H

1040x

Hi @dandydani89 , you should have received a 1099-G for the Unemployment compensation received in 2020.  If this was not included on your original return, yes you will need to file an amended return to include this income.  

You should receive a Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments showing the amount of unemployment compensation paid to you during the year.

If you did your taxes with Turbo Tax and have access to the live help feature and need assistance in preparing the amended return, we can help 🙂

dandydani89

1040x

I've moved and I'm not sure if I can access the mail from before the move,  can I print off a 1099-g form and mail it in?

Michele_H

1040x

Yes, @dandydani89 , you can print a new 1099-G from the state that you received this from.  You will want to add this in on your amended return, not mail in.   If you used Turbo Tax, the process is not complicated to do an amended return and include this income.  You will login and go towards the bottom and look for an option on the right hand side that says amend tax return and this will get you started.