Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1040X - IRS asking for additional documentation

YES ...  if you read the 8812 you will find it covers BOTH the CTC & ACTC credits.  

Thanks @Critter-3 . I will review and add it in.

from what you stated, doesn't appear they processed the 1040X and are just waiting on you.

again, check the transcript to confirm there are no adjustments related to the 1040x..  The amt due / credit due should if that is the case. 

Do not send a new 1040X ... the one you sent is on HOLD waiting for your response.  Send the info the IRS is asking for as directed.

Hi @Critter-3 ,

Yes, it does seem IRS is having my 2020 on hold waiting for info from me. But the 1040X  I have sent to them is incorrect in how much stimulus I received. It stated $1,800 whereas I received $3,600. Is your suggestion to explain this inaccuracy  and other details  in the cover letter rather than sending a corrected 1040X ? Thanks a bunch. 

Hi @NCperson ,

"Be sure you complete Part I,  How did you complete this originally?  On Line 27, column A should be "1", column B should be a -1 and column C should be zero.  On Line 25, column A should be zero, column B should be "1" and column C should be "1". :  On this one, I had trusted Turbo to do this for me I guess!: Your point here makes complete sense to me but the 1040X I sent does not have this. Nothing in line 27. Line 25  shows 1,0,1 but per ur note it should 0,1,1.

"Be sure to list your dependent again with the SSN and check the CTC column box.  did you do that the 1st time? " : This is good. 

The incorrect stimulus is something the IRS will fix for you automatically ... only the CTC needed to be supported by sending in the 8812. 

Now if the 1040X you sent is totally incorrect because column A was wrong then and only then would you send in a new 1040X in response to the IRS letter with a detailed explanation of why they should ignore the first amendment you sent in.  

@Critter-3 just to confirm, the OP needs to request at least $1100 for the RRC on the 1040X.

If the OP requests more than $1100, the IRS will adjust it down to $1100, which is what the OP is truly entiled to.

However, 

if the OP requests anything less than $1100, the IRS will not adjust it back up to $1100.  

The IRS will only adjust errors to its benefit.  😒

@Critter-3 PART A was not incorrect - all was well there.

@NCperson , @Critter-3 , @VolvoGirl  , thanks a bunch for all the clarifications. I will respond to IRS and let you know the outcome. I was wondering what OP stands for 🙂, found out - Original Poster. Thanks all!

@NCperson 

The IRS corrects the stimulus credit in both directions as long as you asked for any amount of the credit on the return.   We have been using the $1 trick successfully and it works everytime when the client could not remember how much (if any) of the stimulus credit they got in advance ... doing so made the IRS check that credit automatically.  

$1 trick explained :  If the RRC was supposed to be $1400 then I indicated they got only  $1399 so $1 showed up line 30 of the form 1040.  This  forced the IRS to double check it so if they did get all $1400 then their refund would be adjusted to  $1 less which the client would not even notice or $1399 more making me the hero.  😉

Hi @NCperson , @Critter-3 , @VolvoGirl  ,

I sent my response to IRS for their letter. After that I see the following under my 2020 amendment .

Received  Adjusted  Completed 

07/14/2023 09/15/2023 10/06/2023

We processed your amended return on October 06, 2023.

Tho IRS says they completed processing the return, I did not receive any check so far. It is now more than 20 days since the update. Is there anything you can think of or should I call them ? Thanks in advance

@sayarbai r

check your transcript for any recent activity.  please post what you uncover. 

Transcript has a recent date and says 0 $ as refund :(

Calling IRS with all my details - will let know what they say

Hi All,

As an update re did 1040X as per help from this community and got back the anticipated refund with interest. Thanks for all the help

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies