turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nickjames83333
Returning Member

1040X Amended Return

I realized my 2017 income was incorrect when I was filing my 2018 taxes and submitted the 1040X form to add a W2. The amendment was accepted and I received an additional refund from 2017. The process took a little while so I had to file for an extension for my 2018 taxes, but my 2017 income has not updated on turbotax and is affecting my 2018 refund. How can I get the 2017 income to update?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

1040X Amended Return

How is it affecting 2018?  Do you need the AGI to efile 2018?  Use the AGI from the original 2017 return not the amended one. 

By the way, you didn't need to wait to file 2018.  

1040X Amended Return

And how did you amend 2017?  Did you use the Desktop program?  If you want you can start 2018 over and transfer from the 2017 amended return on your computer.  I can tell you how.

Carl
Level 15

1040X Amended Return

If you used the desktop version of TTX 2017 to file your return and/or to amend your 2017 return, and you used the desktop version of TTX 2018 to complete your 2018 return, the only possible way to "update" the stuff imported from the 2017 return is to delete the .tax2018 file in the documents/turbotax directory and start over from scratch. That's the only way possible to import the corrected data from your 2017 tax file.

If you are attempting to e-file your 2018 return and the program is asking for your 2017 AGI, try three numbres.

First, use the AGI off line 37 of your *ORIGINALLY* filed form 1040 or line 4 of the 1040-EZ. That same amount is also on the 1040-X line 1, column A.

If that doesn't work then use the AGI on the 1040-X line 1 column C.

If that doesn't work then when asked for the AGI, enter a zero.

If tha doesn't work, then  you have no other choice but to print, sign and mail it to the IRS.

nickjames83333
Returning Member

1040X Amended Return

Yes, I had to download a desktop version of TT to amend the return, and I have been doing 2018 on the online version. 

nickjames83333
Returning Member

1040X Amended Return

I amended the 2017 with the desktop, downloadable program.   But I am using the free basic online program and I know how to start 2018 over but how do I import the amended 1040 from 2017?

1040X Amended Return

You can Transfer the prior year from the Desktop program into the current Online versions.  But if you already started an online return you will have to clear it out and start over or set up a new online account.

How to transfer into the Online version, expand the blue link if you used the CD/download last year........

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

You can’t transfer into the Free Edition so you need to upgrade to Deluxe or higher.  Then go to TaxTools on left.  Then select Tools.  Then select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link. (If you don’t see this option, you may need to Clear and Start Over.)

Carl
Level 15

1040X Amended Return

I realized my 2017 income was incorrect when I was filing my 2018 taxes

So after amending your 2017 return you need to start over with your 2018 return from scratch, in order to import the updated information from the 2017 return into the 2018 return.

Now if the absolute only thing you did when you amended your 2017 return was add another W-2, with *rare* exception that changes nothing for your 2018 return. So there's no need to start the 2018 return over and import the data again.

However, when you e-file the 2018 return you may need to use the AGI from your 2017 return from BEFORE you amended it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies