1040 Box for Full year health care coverage or exempt isn't checked

fisheka

I am the TP on our MFJ return.  My Spouse had insurance all year long and I believe I answered the questions correctly for that.  I however had no health care insurance at any point in 2018.  I believe I answered all questions accurately and the system advised I was not going to be penalized. 

The box on the 1040 for Full year health care coverage or exempt is not checked and I can't seem to manually check it.

Must the box be checked, or is all that penalty stuff for no healthcare coverage ignored by the IRS at this time?

MarilynG

Yes there are still Penalties in 2018 for no health insurance.

The 'Healthcare All Year' box indicates that everyone on the return had insurance all year.  The 'Exempt' box should be checked if you chose an exemption and TurboTax told you there was no penalty. 

Go through the Health Insurance section again and re-check your entries.  Be sure to continue completely through the section. 

Here's more info: